Support Squad FAQ
These are Frequently Asked Questions regarding helping out as a Support Squad member for Anime Boston. Please review them and if your question still isn't answered, feel free to ask on our forums.
- Do I need to have a badge in order to help out?
- Do I need to pre-register before signing up as a squad member?
- How will I get my reimbursement?
- Do I have to pay to become a squad member?
- Do we get food?
- What if I didn't sign up online, or I missed the application deadline? How can I sign up then?
- Will I miss out on the convention if I join the squad?
- Do I need to help out all three days of the convention?
- What's the difference between being a squad member and being a staff member?
- Do squad members get to skip the registration line at the convention?
- Can I still cosplay while helping out?
- Does helping out at Anime Boston get me community service credit for my school or organization?
- I applied, but I haven't received a response. Does that mean I'm not accepted?
- Can we apply as a group to help out at Anime Boston?
1. Do I need to have a badge in order to help out?
Yes, you must have a convention membership to be in the convention outside of your squad duties (that includes making your way to Support Squad HQ!).
2. Do I need to pre-register before signing up as a squad member?
In most cases, yes. If you plan to sign up to help out before the convention, you must be pre-registered. This makes it easier to get your schedule and get to orientation.
3. How will I get my reimbursement?
If you meet the minimum requirements (16 hours spent helping out), your reimbursement will come in the form of a check in the mail. These are typically mailed between one and three months after the convention.
4. Do I have to pay to become a squad member?
Joining the squad requires no additional payment beyond your convention membership.
5. Do we get food?
We provide squad members with meal cards for every four hours spent helping out.
6. What if I didn't sign up online or I missed the application deadline? How can I sign up then?
Contact the Support Squad Manager and/or come to Support Squad HQ to see if we can fit you in. We will do our best to add you to the schedule. However, depending on convention needs and squad turnout, there may not be shifts available.
7. Will I miss out on the convention if I join the squad?
We want you to have fun at Anime Boston even while you are helping us out! You shouldn’t have to miss out on any event you want to attend, that’s why we’ve made it possible for squad members to manage their shift preferences in our Squad Portal. Just let us know when you’re free and we’ll give you a schedule that works with you!
8. Do I need to help out all three days of the convention?
No; you can help out as much or as little as you like!
9. What's the difference between being a squad member and being a staff member?
There is a large difference between the expectations of squad members and those of staff members.
Staff members must put in a significant amount of work during the convention, 24 hours at the minimum, and many staff members put in a great deal of work before the convention weekend even begins. Staff members have a great responsibility to the convention and its members.
Squad members function as a support to staff members. They are the helping hands when it comes to tasks such as line control, handing out materials, assisting with tech, making deliveries between convention departments, and so on. The Support Squad helps the convention run smoothly!
10. Do squad members get to skip the registration line at the convention?
No. Squad members are responsible for picking up their membership badges and arriving at HQ on time for their shifts. If you have pre-registered, you can avoid a time crunch by picking up your badge during registration hours on the Thursday before the convention.
11. Can I still cosplay while helping out?
You may cosplay while helping out as long as it doesn't prevent you from properly wearing and displaying your squad vest and performing your duties. While you are on duty, you are a representative of Anime Boston and must conduct yourself professionally.
12. Does helping out at Anime Boston get me community service credit for my school or organization?
As long as your school or organization is well-informed about what Anime Boston is all about, what the helping out will involve, and has accepted Anime Boston as a credible community service option, you can help out at the convention and receive community service credit. Simply sign up, get accepted into the squad roster, and complete the work. The Support Squad Manager will then sign off on your paperwork.
13. I applied but I haven't received a response. Does that mean I'm not accepted?
Applications for squad positions are reviewed and responded to in bulk once the application period has closed. You will not be accepted or rejected before we review all the applications.
Every application is carefully reviewed and considered to ensure qualifications. Those accepted will receive a welcome email.
Please keep in mind that some years we receive an overwhelming amount of squad applications. As we have a limited number of positions, qualified candidates are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
14. Can we apply as a group to help out at Anime Boston?
Please contact the Support Squad Manager directly with the details regarding your group.