These are Frequently Asked Questions regarding our Registration process. Please review them and if your question still isn't answered, feel free to contact Registration Customer Service or ask on our forums.
Before you register:
- How do I register for Anime Boston?
- Is my Membership good for all three days of the convention?
- Can I pre-register exclusively by mail?
- Do you take PayPal?
- Do you take credit cards?
- Is there a discount for kids?
- Is there a group discount?
- Can I register as a group if I'm not sure who will be in the group yet?
- Do you offer individual day passes?
- What if I just want to go to the dealers' room? Do I still have to register for a full membership?
- I'm only coming to run a panel/get an artists' alley table/etc., do I still need to register?
- Why do you need my birth date? Gender?
- Why do you need a phone number?
- Why do you need my e-mail address?
- Do I need to get my pre-registration in by the date or is that the postmark date?
- How long do I have to pay?
- How old do I have to be to get into Anime Boston without adult supervision?
- What do you mean by party? Party leader? Group?
- What can I put in my badge name?
- Can I purchase more than one badge?
After you register:
- I moved after I sent in my pre-registration or I changed my e-mail address. How can I update my address, badge name, etc.?
- I pre-registered but haven't received any confirmation. Am I really registered?
- What happens after I pre-register? What do I need to do next? How do I get my badge?
- When will registration be open at the convention?
- Why should I pre-register for the convention?
- What happens if I arrive after registration closes?
- Can I have my friend pick up my badge for me?
- What will the badges look like?
- I can't go to Anime Boston anymore. Can I get a refund?
- Can I transfer my Anime Boston membership to someone else?
- My school club already registered, but some friends want to join me. Can I add them to my group?
- Is there a limit on the number of people you'll allow at the convention?
- How many people were at Anime Boston last year?
- How do I register for a Press pass?
- How do I register for an Industry pass?
- How do I register for a VIP pass?
- Other than entrance to Anime Boston, what else can my membership get me?
1. How do I register for Anime Boston?
Visit our Registration page for instructions. Pre-registration will close a week before the convention; after this, you will need to register and pay at the convention during registration hours.
2. Is my Membership good for all three days of the convention?
Yes, all Memberships purchased through the online pre-registration process are good for all three days of the convention, with an early pick-up option on Thursday.
3. Can I pre-register exclusively by mail?
No, you must pre-register online. After you complete the pre-registration form, you have the choice of mailing in your payment or paying online. The deadline for mailing in your payment is the Friday two weeks prior to the start of the convention (one week prior to the end of pre-registration).
4. Do you take PayPal?
No, you must pay with a either a credit card, check, or money order when you register online.
5. Do you take credit cards?
Currently, we accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover for online payment. They will also be accepted for on-site registration, in addition to cash.
6. Is there a discount for kids?
Yes. Children 6-12 save $10. Children 5 and under are admitted free. Age is determined as of the first full day of the convention. Children 6-12 must be accompanied by an adult (18+) with a paid membership at the time of badge pickup. Children 5 and under must be accompanied by an adult (18+) with a paid membership at all times within the convention space. See our Registration Rates page.
7. Is there a group discount?
Educational/School groups of 10 or more can register as a unit for a discounted rate of $5 off each individual registration. More information is available on our Group Registration page.
8. Can I register as a group if I'm not sure who will be in the group yet?
No, the entire group must register as a unit. You may register and pay for someone else, but we need names and contact information for everyone that you wish to register.
9. Do you offer individual day passes?
The only one-day membership we currently offer is a Sunday-Only Membership, which must be purchased at the door during Sunday Registration Hours.
10. What if I just want to go to the dealers' room? Do I still have to register for a full membership?
Yes. Individuals will not be allowed into the convention space without a valid membership badge.
11. I'm only coming to run a panel/get an artists' alley table/etc., do I still need to register?
Yes. Individuals will not be allowed into the convention space without a valid membership badge.
Panelists, volunteers, and other attendees who contribute to the convention in particular ways may be eligible for reimbursements; details are provided on the appropriate pages.
12. Why do you need my birth date? Gender?
We need your date of birth to determine if you qualify for the child discount and to mark your age. We also use age and gender for aggregate demographics; sponsors really like this information, and sponsors give us free stuff. We only record your age and gender, we do not keep your birth date.
13. Why do you need a phone number?
Phone numbers are requested for emergency purposes only. For minors (individuals under the age of 18 at the start of the convention), we require the phone number (US or Canadian) of a responsible party in the event something happens to you at the convention. We only keep it until the end of the convention and only use it in a genuine emergency. If you live outside of North America, please provide the number of a trusted friend in the US or Canada who can help you if necessary.
14. Why do you need my email address?
We ask for your e-mail address so we can email you a membership confirmation and in case we need to contact you in regard to your registration. Your personal information will be kept confidential by The New England Anime Society and will not be shared with any other organizations for any reason.
You are responsible for providing an accurate email address and ensuring you can receive email from animeboston.com. If you use a spam filter, we suggest whitelisting animeboston.com.
Anime Boston is not responsible if you miss important information due to providing an incorrect email address or rejecting email from animeboston.com.
15. Do I need to get my pre-registration in by the date or is that the postmark date?
In order to get the current rate, you must complete the online pre-registration and payment forms by the date listed. We also need to receive your payment within two weeks of your registration. Just send it right away and there won't be a problem.
DO NOT MAIL YOUR PAYMENT WITH EXPRESS MAIL! We only check the mailbox once a week and any Express Mail that sits longer than a few days gets returned. Send your payment by regular mail. Using Priority or Express Mail is a complete waste of your money.
16. How long do I have to pay?
If you are paying via Credit Card, you are expected to pay immediately.
If you are mailing in a check or money order, we must receive your payment within two weeks. We suggest having your checkbook and printer handy before you start the process; plan on mailing your payment immediately.
If we do not receive your payment within 2 weeks, we will assume you do not want to attend, and will cancel your pre-registration.
You must be 13 years or older to purchase an Adult Membership to Anime Boston. Individuals 6-12 year old must purchase a Child Membership, which requires that they be accompanied by an adult (18+) with a paid membership at badge pickup time. We expect parents to make their own decisions about accompanying their children throughout the convention; however, we expect children 5 years and under to be accompanied by an adult (18+) at all times. Anime Boston assumes no responsibility for unaccompanied minors. We do not provide babysitting services, nor do we give parents free admission to accompany children.
- Party means a bunch of people who registered together, roughly the same meaning as at a restaurant. (If you're registering by yourself, you're a party of one.)
- Party Leader is the first person registered in the party. If the person paying for the party registers with the party, that person will be the party leader. Each individual in a party must pick up their own badge.
- Payer or "person paying" is simply the person paying for a party's registration.
- Group refers to a party eligible for a group discount, available to school/educational groups of 10 or more. Each person is responsible for picking up their own badge.
19. What can I put in my badge name?
It can be your nickname, your real name, your forum name--whatever you want people to call you. Sorry, we don't support kana at this time; your badge name has to consist of alphabetic characters (including simple accents), numbers, and most standard punctuation.
Your badge name cannot contain anything obscene or offensive in our judgement; we reserve the right to replace your badge name with your first name if necessary.
20. Can I purchase more than one badge?
No, in light of the attendance cap, members may only purchase one badge per person.
21. I moved after I sent in my pre-registration or I changed my e-mail address. How can I update my address, badge name, etc.?
You can only change your email address and badge name. You must have your current email address used to pre-register, as well as your confirmation code in order to update your information. If you need to make any other changes to your registration, please contact Registration Customer Service and we will make the requested changes for you. Please make sure you include your registration information in the email.
22. I pre-registered but haven't received any confirmation. Am I really registered?
Maybe. It is possible your email was entered incorrectly or caught in a spam filter. If you are unsure if you are registered you need to contact Registration Customer Service.
The best way to be sure of your registration is to enter a complete and accurate email address when you register. Be sure you can receive email from @animeboston.com addresses, as well. Add it to your whitelist if you use a spam filter. Check your "spam" or "bulk mail" folder.
Be sure to submit payment immediately. Your registration is not valid and you won't receive your confirmation email until it is paid!
Assuming you mail payment immediately (which you should!), it takes:
- 1-2 weeks to reach us in the mail. Express mail will not help, as we only check the P.O. Box twice a week.
- Up to 1 week for us to check the mailbox and enter the payment in our database. You can check the link in your confirmation email "View My Online Confirmation", which will be updated once your check is received and processed.
- 3-4 weeks for your payment to clear our bank. Just because it's cleared your account doesn't mean it's cleared into ours.
So, allow six weeks from the time you sent payment before asking about your registration.
Credit Card Payments
If you pay with a credit card, it should clear immediately.
In-person Pre-registration Events
If you registered in person at a live event and have not received a confirmation e-mail, it is possible that:
- The registrations have not been entered into the system yet. Please check the Registration Events page and confirm that the event you attended is listed as “complete” before contacting Customer Service.
- You did not list a valid e-mail address on the registration form. Please contact Customer Service to resolve this, and have proof of payment available (your written receipt or a record of credit card payment).
- We could not read the e-mail address you listed, or there was a typo on our end. Again, please contact Customer Service with your proof of payment to resolve this issue.
23. What happens after I pre-register? What do I need to do next? How do I get my badge?
Your badge will not be mailed; just show up at the convention with a photo ID and the express pass barcode that you will receive in your confirmation e-mail. The express pass barcode is not required; however, it ensures a faster badge pickup. Your first stop should be the Registration Office (Back Bay A) during Registration Hours. Bring a photo ID (this will let us know we're giving your badge to the right person); you will receive badge, lanyard, and registration materials. After you get your badge, you are free to attend any of our events.
It is okay to bring a printout of your registration confirmation email, but it is not necessary, and will not replace the need for photo ID.
25. Why should I pre-register for the convention?
Only pre-registered members can pick up their badge on Thursday evening. Pre-registered members also save some money on the cost of their membership. Anyone who pre-registers typically receives his or her badge faster (since we already have your name and payment). Finally, pre-registered members are guaranteed to get into Anime Boston, even if the attendance cap is reached.
26. What happens if I arrive after registration closes?
You will just have to wait until it opens the following day. Members cannot attend any convention functions or events without a valid membership badge. We will be checking for badges. We will not issue "temporary" badges (or any other kind) during the hours registration is closed.
27. Can I have my friend pick up my badge for me?
No. Each member must pick up his/her own badge. Party leaders for educational groups will not be allowed to pick up badges for others.
To pick up a child badge, both the child and the supervising adult need to be present. Children under 13 do not need a photo ID, but they must be accompanied by an adult (18+).
28. What will the badges look like?
We can tell you that the Anime Boston badges will feature never-before-seen mascot art related to our yearly theme.
29. I can't go to Anime Boston anymore. Can I get a refund?
Unfortunately, we cannot give membership refunds. This has always been stated on our Registration Rates page. We cannot make exceptions to this rule.
30. Can I transfer my Anime Boston membership to someone else?
No. Pre-registration is a commitment that you plan to attend the convention. This means the name you register with must match the name on your ID, and you are not allowed to change it in your registration (with obvious exceptions such as getting married between registration and the convention).
31. My school club already registered, but some friends want to join me. Can I add them to my group?
Sorry, no. All registrations are on an individual basis. If you are registering an educational group, you must have the names of all the members when you register. They cannot join the group at a later date. They will have to register by themselves.
32. Is there a limit on the number of people you'll allow at the convention?
Starting in 2015, we have established an Attendance Cap to prevent us from reaching the Maximum Occupancy for the facilities as set by the Massachusetts Fire Marshall.
33. How many people were at Anime Boston last year?
Anime Boston attendance numbers for previous years can be found on our Anime Boston History Page. These numbers include staff, guests, and press. Memberships are only counted once (ie: if someone attends all 3 days, they do not count as 3).
36. How do I register for a VIP pass?
Anime Boston's executive staff members are the only ones who can send out VIP passes. They are typically given to local celebrities, spouses of guests, and athletes who are invited to the convention. There is no application process.
37. Other than entrance to Anime Boston, what else can my membership get me?
A membership purchased for Anime Boston only admits you to Anime Boston for that year. It does not admit you to other conventions or events run by the New England Anime Society nor will it admit you to future Anime Boston conventions. For information on other NEAS events, visit neanime.org.
Registrations are non-refundable, non-replaceable, and non-transferable. See our Registration Policies for details. Pre-registrants will receive their badges at the convention. Bring a photo ID (driver's license, passport, school ID, etc.) to the convention when you pick up your badge. Hotel accommodations are not included with registration - contact the hotel directly to reserve a room.