Please give the gift of life!
The Heinlein Society is organizing Anime Boston's American Red Cross Blood Drive. It will be on Friday, March 21st from 2PM - 7PM and Saturday, March 22nd from 10AM - 3PM in the Gardner, Hampton, and Exeter rooms of the Sheraton Hotel. Your gift of blood can help save lives - there are always patients that need blood.
Questions about donating blood:
- Why should I donate blood?
- How can I tell if I'm eligible to donate?
- What if I'm not eligible?
- What should I do before I donate?
Volunteer for for the Blood Drive
The Heinlein Society is also looking for Volunteers for the Blood Drive. Volunteers are especially welcome to recruit donors throughout the convention center. Perhaps costumed Vampires and Vampire Hunter/Slayers would be particularly effective doing this at Anime Boston? However, no costume is required, and we'd like anyone interested to contact us.
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Time as a blood drive volunteer will count toward registered convention volunteer time.
- You may qualify for Anime Boston crash space.
What Volunteering for the Blood Drive may entail:
- Recruiting donors: Many volunteers are needed to approach AB attendees to raise awareness of the opportunity to donate blood on Friday and Saturday, to let interested potential donors know they can schedule an appointment with you (you'll have a clipboard with a schedule), or that you can escort them to the drive (no clipboard required). Minimal required training provided.
- Registration: A very few volunteers may be needed at the entry to the drive to coordinate recruiters' appointments, greet potential donors and conduct the registration process. Training for this will be provided as needed.
- Canteen: A very few volunteers may be needed to converse with donors during their recovery time, serve them snacks, water, and juice, and alert American Red Cross staff when needed. Training for this will be provided as needed.
Requirements to be a Blood Drive Volunteer:
- Be able to legally sign a consent form for the volunteer requirements of the American Red Cross (Registration and Canteen only).
- Agree to be trained by the Heinlein Society and to behave consistent with that training, whether recruiting or in other roles.
- Can work any hours from the opening of the convention through Saturday afternoon, when the blood drive ends. Donor hours are 2-7PM on Friday and 10AM-3PM on Saturday.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact John Hodges of the Heinlein Society at email@example.com.
About the Heinlein Society:
The Heinlein Society exists to preserve the legacy renowned writer Robert Anson Heinlein left us in novels, essays, speeches, and short stories. They follow Heinlein's words to "PAY IT FORWARD", which includes donating blood and organizing Blood Drive events. The Heinlein Society has made this a permanent, or ongoing event, and continues to invite all to participate in this critically important effort.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross, founded in 1881, has been the nation's premier emergency response organization. In addition to domestic disaster relief, the American Red Cross offers compassionate services in other areas, including the collection, processing, and distribution of lifesaving blood and blood products. With four million people giving blood through the Red Cross, it is the largest supplier of blood and blood products in the United States.