The following are Anime Boston's policies and rules regarding membership to the convention. These policies and rules apply to all members of Anime Boston, upon acceptance of their membership and badge.
- What Membership to Anime Boston Entails
- General Convention Rules
- Supplementary Policies
- Props Policy
- Hotel Code of Conduct
- Autograph Policy
- Dance Policy
- Dealers' Room Policy
- Flyer Policy
- Personal Sound Device Policy
- Prohibited Items
- Prohibited Conduct
- Repercussions for Violations
- Accessibility at Anime Boston
What Membership to Anime Boston Entails:
- Upon acceptance of Membership to Anime Boston, members become responsible for their personal liability. Members assume all risks with respect to the dangers incidental to Anime Boston.
- Membership Badges are required for entry into Anime Boston and must be visible at all times. Membership Badges are non-replaceable, non-refundable, and non-transferable.
- Acceptance of a Membership Badge constitutes consent to the use of the wearer's image or likeness in any recording, transmission, or reproduction of Anime Boston for use by Anime Boston or the New England Anime Society (NEAS).
- Failure to comply with the published rules of Anime Boston, including disruptive or inappropriate behavior, will result in the revocation of Membership and ejection from Anime Boston. Anime Boston may revoke membership and eject anyone from the convention at anytime for any reason without a refund.
General Convention Rules:
- Follow requests and directions of Anime Boston, Facility, and hotel staff.
- Anime Boston, NEAS, the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority (MCCA), and hotels are not responsible for personal items. Unattended and lost items will be turned over to proper authorities (Facility Management, Boston Police Department, Boston Fire Department, Massachusetts State Police).
- Appropriate attire is required at all times, including shoes, pants/shorts/skirts, and shirts/tops.
- Each event room has limited space and seating. Seating is not guaranteed to any persons. Standing room is allowed only at the discretion of Anime Boston or Facility staff.
- Lining up is permitted no earlier than 2 hours prior for general events, and 30 minutes prior to autograph sessions. Documented disabled persons, staff, on-duty volunteers, guests of honor, and dealers are not required to stand in line for events.
- Possession or consumption of alcohol is only permitted in designated locations.
- The legal drinking age in Massachusetts is 21 years of age. Anyone under legal age found drinking or intoxicated will be reported to Facility Management and the Boston Police Department.
- Smoking (including the use of vaping devices) is only permitted within designated locations outside the buildings.
- Theft, assault, drug use, and other illegal activities will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
- Discrimination and/or harassment of any form will not be tolerated.
- Do not hinder or obstruct the flow of foot traffic within the convention area.
- Individuals may be asked to remove large or unwieldy bags, props, or other accessories from the convention areas.
- Questions, concerns, or complaints should be brought to Anime Boston staff at either Convention Operations, the Info Desk, or Registration Customer Service.
Props Policy (Updated 2/22/16):
- Real weapons are banned in the convention areas, regardless if they are functional or not, per MCCA Regulations and Massachusetts General Laws.
- All items as listed in the Prohibited Items list are not allowed. There are no exceptions to this, regardless as to whether the item is functional or not.
- All prop weapons must be inspected and peace-bonded each day of the convention.
- Prop Inspection Checkpoints will now be established at all entrances to the Hynes Convention Center. They will be staffed by MCCA Public Safety and Boston Police.
- Other props may be required to be inspected and peace-bonded by Anime Boston Security, at the discretion of Anime Boston staff.
- Unapproved items will be will be cataloged and stored. Upon exit of the convention center, the owner may reclaim it. Any item found to violate city, state, or federal law may not be returned at the discretion of the Boston Police Department.
- Anime Boston Security cannot approve a prop prior to the convention.
- Prop weapons should not be carried outside the convention center. The Boston Police Department will treat anyone carrying realistic looking weapons as a legitimate threat and will take appropriate action according to Massachusetts General Law and Boston City Ordindance 16-5A.
- Members who do not comply with this policy or are deemed repeat offenders will be subject to removal from MCCA facilities.
Hotel Code of Conduct:
- If an individual is responsible for damages to hotel property, or endangering his/her own or anyone else's safety, he/she and potentially any or all of his/her roommates will be ejected from the hotel and have his/her Membership to Anime Boston revoked. Individuals involved will be held legally and financially responsible. Hotel administration may prosecute the offenders to the fullest extent of the law.
- Noise levels must be kept to a minimum at all times. After three disturbances from a room, the guests will be ejected from hotel property and their Membership to Anime Boston may be revoked.
- Hotel guests must comply with the listed occupancy limits for each room. Failure to do so may result in being ejected from hotel property.
- Approximately 100 attendees will receive tickets guaranteeing them an autograph just prior to start of the session depending on the length of the session.
- Anime Boston reserves the right to cap or end the line to keep events (and guests) on schedule.
- Attendees are not allowed to line up for an autograph session more than 60 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- In order to allow as many attendees as possible the opportunity to get an autograph, attendees will be limited to one item per session.
- All items should be prepared for signing.
- Photos are allowed at the discretion of the guest.
- Going behind the guest's table or having the guest move in front of the table is not allowed.
- Only legally obtained official merchandise and/or the Anime Boston program book will be guaranteed to be signed. Fan produced materials may be signed at the guest's discretion. Absolutely no bootlegs.
- Attendees participating in disruptive or rude behavior may be asked to leave the autograph area.
- No bottles (glass or plastic) or cans are allowed. Water is provided.
- Bags, purses, and backpacks of any kind are not allowed.
- Props are not allowed.
- Members entering the dance are subject to voluntary searches for contraband (weapons, drugs, alcohol, or other illegal substances). Members may refuse the search, but will not be permitted into the dance.
- Break dancing and stringing may only be done in specified areas of the dance floor.
- No conga lines or moshing is allowed.
- Feet must be on the floor at all times.
Dealers' Room Policy:
- Dealers will charge the current Massachusetts State Sales Tax of 6.25%. They may not charge sales tax from other states.
- Individual clothing items under $175 are exempt from MA State Sales Tax. Clothing items over $175 are only taxed on the amount over $175.
- Bootleg and unlicensed merchandise are not permitted to be sold in the Dealers' Room.
- If you have any questions, issues, or complaints, please contact Anime Boston staff at the table located at the main Dealers' Room entrance.
- One pile of flyers may be placed on the table near the Hynes Info Desk by a person with a Membership Badge at no charge.
- Flyers from other businesses and conventions are welcomed provided they do not contain any adult, illegal, or inappropriate content.
- Do not move or obscure other flyers.
- Characters, names, and logos of Anime Boston and NEAS properties may not be used without express written consent.
- Remaining flyers will be discarded at the end of the convention if not reclaimed.
- Anime Boston staff may remove flyers for any reason at any time.
Personal Sound Device Policy:
- Keep the volume low within the convention facilities and other public areas.
- If Anime Boston or Facility staff asks any individual to turn down the volume on a device, he/she must comply immediately.
- Three incidents will result in the offender having his/her Membership to Anime Boston revoked and potentially prohibited from attending future Anime Boston and NEAS events.
- Alcohol and illegal substances.
Wheeled items (excluding mobility assistance devices), including but not limited to:
- Revealing and/or offensive attire.
- Signs of any kind. The only exception will be for cosplays where it can be proven that the character has a sign. Please see our Cosplay FAQ for more details.
- Knives, firearms, and other weapons as described in the Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 269, Section 10.
- Real guns (working, disabled, or otherwise).
- Projectile weapons (pellet guns, airsoft rifles, pistols, disc guns, paintball markers, water pistols, or other liquid "weapons," etc).
- Metal blades (knives, swords, sharp items, etc).
- Practice swords including bokens and kendo bamboo practice swords.
- Chains, spikes, whips, leashes.
- Any other potentially harmful weapon, prop, or item as determined by Anime Boston Security.
- Smoke or fog machines or similar devices.
- Laser pointers or similar devices. These items may not be used in public unless you are officially sanctioned to lead or present a convention seminar, panel, workshop, or other convention-sanctioned event.
- Drones and other aerial devices.
- Disruptive behavior, including but not limited to:
- Screaming, shouting, or yelling.
- Playing loud music or noise.
- Horseplay or rowdiness.
- Unsolicited physical contact.
- Defacing or damaging MCAA, hotel, Anime Boston, or NEAS properties.
- Discrimination and/or harassment of any kind to anyone.
- Obstructing the flow of foot traffic within the convention area.
- Alcohol consumption and smoking (including the use of vaping devices) outside of designated areas.
- Theft, assault, drug use, and any other illegal activities.
- Nudity and inappropriate attire.
Repercussions for Violations:
Any of the following repercussions may occur for violations, subject to the discretion of Anime Boston and Facility staff.
- Verbal warning from Anime Boston or Facility staff.
- Confiscation of prohibited items. Confiscation may be permanent, or until the item can be safely removed from convention premises.
- Ejection from convention premises and revocation of Membership to Anime Boston.
- Barring membership or admittance to future Anime Boston and NEAS events.
- Ejection from hotel facilities including guest rooms.
- Financial and legal responsibility for damages.
- Reporting to the Boston Police Department for illegal activities or substances.
Accessibility at Anime Boston
- Advanced Seating
Advanced seating will be provided to persons for Auditorium and Hall D events. Those who require this service will be seated in an area that is at the discretion of Anime Boston staff. This service will be provided to a person with a disability or injury that would affect a person’s ability to stand in lines for long periods of time. If a person requires this service they will be permitted to bring one companion person to assist them.
To apply for this sticker, please go to Registration Customer Service. Stickers are given out at the discretion of Anime Boston staff to those who are truly in need. A special sticker will be placed on your badge. This sticker can be presented in order to gain advance access ten minutes prior to general event seating. If an event requires a special ticket for admission (ie: masquerade, concerts), then attendee still must have one of these tickets to be seated.
Both the Hynes and the Sheraton Hotel are fully accessible to those with wheelchairs. The Hynes Convention Center has a small number of wheelchairs on site that can be rented or borrowed. Please contact the Hynes Convention Center for more information.
Both facilities have bathrooms that are equipped with handicapped stalls. We ask that all of our attendees are considerate of others when using the bathrooms, especially for any costume changes; please give those with disabilities first preference at using the handicapped stalls in the bathrooms.
Both facilities are equipped with elevators. We ask that all of our attendees are considerate of others when using the elevators; please give those with disabilities first preference at using the elevators. For many, this is their only possible method of traveling between floors. If you are capable of taking the stairs or using an escalator, we ask that you do so.
- Service Animals
Service animals as defined by the ADA are welcome at Anime Boston. We ask that in order to avoid confusion among attendees and staff that if you have a service animal with you, please do not incorporate your service animal in to any cosplay.