The Art Show allows members of Anime Boston to display their works, as well as offer them for bid in a silent auction. Check below for information on participating in the Art Show, as well as operating hours.
- All participants in the Art Show (artists or agents) must be registered members of Anime Boston 2017.
- Display places for the Art Show are available on a FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED basis.
- Registering in advance is available for those who wish to register before the convention. Each artist will be given a set amount of space to display their artwork. Registering for the Art Show online is not reserving a space. However, if you can register online before the convention it will give us a better idea of how many artists to expect, and how much space we will need at the minimum.
- To guarantee a place in the Art Show, artists must sign-up in advance online. Registrations must be received no later than March 27, 2017. This registration entitles you to submit 10 individual pieces or a 4ft x 4ft space, whichever happens first.
- If space is available, at-the-door registration will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- All participants are required to submit an entry listing information on all works being displayed in the Art Show. These can be filled out before the convention or upon arrival. If you wish to fill out the forms before the convention, you can fill out the form here.
- There is no fee for admission into the Anime Boston Art Show. Pieces may be marked "For Sale" or "Not For Sale (NFS)". However, any "For Sale" pieces that are successfully sold will be subject to a 20% commission. This commission will be deducted from the total sale price of the pieces, and the artist will be paid the remainder on Sunday of the convention.
- Anime Boston will not accept any artwork via any form of postal service; all artwork must be delivered by the artist to the Art Show in person.
Setting Up at the Art Show
- The Art Show will be open for pre-registered artists on:
- Thursday, March 30th: 8:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Friday, March 31st: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Saturday, April 1st: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Artists who have not set up pieces for the Art Show by noon on Saturday, April 1st will be marked as a no-show and will forfeit their spot.
- Each work of art must be clearly labeled via information tags (see section above on entry listing information), which should be posted next to your artwork. These tags should be filled in accurately and legibly.
- There will be Velcro display boards for the hanging of 2-dimensional artwork. There will be tables for the displaying of 3-dimensional works.
- All two-dimensional work MUST be matted, framed, and/or mounted. This will give your artwork a professional look to it. Anime Boston will not accept any artwork that does not follow this rule.
- Three-dimensional works (models, sculptures, dolls, etc.) must be freestanding or self-supporting. Please provide your own protective cases if necessary. Anime Boston will not be responsible for any damage to pieces during the show. Display at your own risk.
- Fabric items such as scarves, quilts, and T-shirts may either be rigged for hanging or mounted for table display.
- If your artwork requires electricity, you are responsible for bringing your own extension cords, power strips, etc.
- An Artist will be given a space of up to half of one table length, OR half a gridwall space for hanging pieces. We will not provide any space beyond this in order to allow a variety of other artists to be able to display their work as well.
- Anime Boston Art Show staff will be on hand to assist in the hanging and display of all artwork in the event that any artist needs assistance. To accommodate the needs of the Art Show and its participants, the Art Show staff may re-arrange artwork.
- All submissions must be an artist's original production. Anime Boston Art Show will reject artwork which appears to be traced or copied directly from an already existing piece. If it is determined by the Art Show Manager that the artwork is a plagiarism, it will be removed for the duration of the convention.
- Registered artists not attending the convention may designate an agent to display their work.
- Artists (participating in the Art Show) may not submit works created by another artist (artist of origin) unless they are designated by the artist of origin as authorized agents. This can be noted on the signup form for the Anime Boston Art Show.
- Normal safety regulations must be observed. This means no blades, emission of toxic odors or fumes, explosives, radioactive materials, biohazards, kinetic blades, or anything deemed by Art Show staff to present a potential hazard to Anime Boston members and staff.
- The artist may elect to remove their piece from the show at any time during the course of the weekend.
- Adult Submissions: Anime Boston and the New England Anime Society have no desire to stifle creativity or expression. However, we are bound by the laws of the state of Massachusetts, and to protect ourselves (and you) from potential prosecution, we provide the following guidelines:
- To protect minors who might be present at the convention, all artwork containing adult content will be displayed in the back of the gallery. Signs will be posted stating the area as 18+.
- All adult works must be transported in an opaque container or case so that no one can see the work until it is displayed in the adult art section.
- The adult art section will be labeled to inform minors the type of works within the adult section, but Anime Boston is not responsible for minors who choose to enter the area.
- Only adults (18 or older) may submit adult material to the art show.
- All other guidelines as dictated by the general Art Show guidelines apply.
- Anime Boston reserves the right to refuse to display or to remove any work, for any reason at any time.
- If there is a problem or question, please bring it to the attention of the Art Show staff immediately.
- Failure to adhere to any of these rules could result in immediate revocation of convention membership without refund.
Bidders' Rules and Guidelines
- Art Show Hours:
- Friday, March 31st: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- Saturday, April 1st: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- Sunday, April 2nd: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Closeout Hours: Sunday, April 2nd: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- In order to bid on a piece of artwork (either during regular display hours or during the silent auction), you will need to use your convention ID# located on your badge (not your Artist Alley ID number, if you are a registered Artist Alley vendor).
- Each artwork will be displayed with a bid sheet listing a minimum bid price at the artist's discretion. Attendees will place their bids by entering their bid and bidder number on the bid sheet.
- Artists who do not wish to put their work up for auction may mark such work on the bid sheet as NFS (not for sale).
- Artwork will be eligible for auction if it has received four bids as marked on the bid sheet.
- Any artwork ineligible for auction, having at least one bid, will be sold to the highest bidder on the bidding slip.
- Any artwork without bids can be picked up by the artist on Sunday. Anime Boston is NOT responsible for mailing artwork back to the artist. If artwork is not picked up on Sunday by 3:00 p.m., it will become property of Anime Boston.
- At 5pm on Saturday, there will be a silent auction for any piece of art that has at least 4 bids. Each piece will be displayed to the assembled crowd and any interested party will be given a piece of paper to write their final bid on. The top bidder will pay $1 more than the next highest bidder for the piece.
- Example: Art enthusiasts A-chan & B-kun both want the same piece of art. A-chan bids $45 and B-kun bids $80. B-kun wins the piece for $46.
- If too few items are designated for auction by Saturday afternoon, the Art Show Manager can choose to cancel the auction, with the highest bid winning the pieces with 4 bids.
- If the bidder does not pick up the artwork and the artwork ends up unclaimed by both the artist and the bidder, it will become property of Anime Boston. It is the responsibility of artist to make sure that they retrieve their artwork if their bidder does not show.
- In the event of any dispute over payment, the bid sheet will act as a receipt, provided the signatures of the artist and customer and also the amount paid are written on it.
- An artist may choose to make their works available for immediate, non-auction purchase via the system called "Buy It Now." The artist puts the amount that the piece can be purchased for. If a bidder wishes to pay the "Buy It Now" price they can bring the artwork to the table and purchase it right away, and not have to wait until Sunday to take it with them.
- No cameras of any sort are allowed in the Art Show, except for supervised press or staff. If you are found taking video or photos of artwork, we will require the photos to be deleted from your device. If you repeat the offense your camera will be confiscated, to be returned on Sunday between 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- The artist understands and expressly agrees that the use of Anime Boston's services are at the artist's own risk, that any item sold through the use of Anime Boston's services is at the artist's own discretion and risk and that the artist will be solely responsible for any damages caused to his or her personal property.
- While Anime Boston attempts to supervise the Art Show for as much of the convention as possible, Anime Boston and the New England Anime Society will not be liable for any loss, theft, or disappearance of artwork.
- Anime Boston and the New England Anime Society will not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or punitive damages of any kind resulting from the use of or the inability to use Anime Boston's services, resulting from any actions by the artist or the artist's authorized agent, including but not limited to damages for loss of profits, use, data or other intangibles, even if Anime Boston and the New England Anime Society had been advised of such possibilities.
- The artist agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless, Anime Boston, the New England Anime Society, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, consultants and agents from any and all third-party claims, liability, damages and/or costs (including but not limited to attorneys' fees) arising from the artist's use of Anime Boston's services or by the sale of property by the artist or said artist's agent that was not approved of by the artist.